Sunday, March 23, 2014

Nostalgic Nugget Book Review # 1: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

Mrs. Piggle-WiggleMrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


So I have started this little project of re-reading books I have read during childhood, to go along with my Nostalgic Nuggets post over at my blog, because I love trips down memory lane.

The first book I choose was Mrs Piggle-Wiggle ( The first book in the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Series) written by Betty MacDonald back in 1947. I first read this book back when I was in 3rd grade (8-9 years old) I remember loving it back then, and revisiting it at 23, I still quite enjoy it.

The book is about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle who helps children with the bad habits, with the help of magical cures in a chest left to her by her deceased pirate husband.

A few of the bad habits were; "Rudeness"(cured by a parrot who was equally rude)," Hates taking Baths"(Cured by having radishes planted on her after being caked in dirt), and "Not Sharing" (cured by a special kit labeling everything his, causing embarrassment) plus more.

I enjoy this book because it was both very funny, and it taught some pretty good lessons ( I was a strange child that liked that kind of stuff). Reading it now, I can see the flaws in it, but I tend to shoo them away as I drift back to my childhood. Is it a perfect book? No, but it is fun and a good teacher.

View all my reviews

No comments: